Vazhai
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vazhai methodologies to implement in schools

+2
sivasubramani
Narayanasami
6 posters

Go down

Vazhai methodologies to implement in schools Empty Vazhai methodologies to implement in schools

Post  Narayanasami Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 pm

Dear friends,

In the conf-call happened on 07Jan13, it is decided to implement 1 or 2 vazhai methodologies in next 2 months in CVPuram school, through Amuthavalli teacher. These are for all students of a class, both vazhai and non-vazhai students. Using this, we can make a feasibility analysis for further implementing vazhai methods in schools.

We have listed out few methodologies below. We have to finalize 1 or 2 items within this week (Within Sunday 13Jan13).

**** Please provide your inputs for selecting *******
**** Please add if you think of any other items to be considered. *****

A. Asking the teacher to collect the info about each of the students in a class, about his academic and non academic positives and negatives. Performing this task first, will help the teacher understand her class better, and will be easier for further implementations.

B. Spoken English. Every class might have 4 or 5 English periods every week. Teacher has to follow our method only 30 mins or 1 hour per week for spoken English. And end of the 2 months, Vazhai will conduct a small competition/fun activity on spoken English and evaluate the implementation. Using this, we can fine tune our spoken English methodologies for reaching schools.

C. Comprehension exercises: Vazhai will prepare and give comprehension sheets to the teacher. Each sheet will contain a couple of paragraphs in Tamil/science/Social, followed by a set of questions. A student will be given some time to read the paragraphs (30 mins? Based on matter) and teacher will ask questions orally, and fill up an evaluation sheet. Each student will undergo around 10 or 15 such sheets in a span of 2 months. This will increase his reading skills which will help his exam preparation. Teacher also will understand the reasons for weaker students.

D. Creativity sessions: We can choose a couple of sessions from our creativity workshop, and ask the teacher to conduct in her class. We will prepare and give the execution plan with materials.

E. Another suggestion: Few Vazhai members has to go to a class one day, interact with them for few hours, understand their levels and needs, then come up with the items to implement.

F. Self awareness + goal setting: Ask the teacher to conduct this life skill activity for every student of a class. Complete self awareness task in first one or two weeks, and then take up small goal settings in further one or two weeks. Vazhai will prepare the execution plan, set of questions to ask, materials etc. This will be very new to students. This will also show us the practical challenges in implementing life skills in schools through teacher, and to plan accordingly for next year when we reach schools for life skills.

Implementation of the selected items will start only after our next workshop (2,3 Feb13).
We should be prepared with the execution plan, materials, evaluation sheets before the workshop, so that we can handover them to the teacher during the workshop and she can start as soon as possible.

Narayanasami

Back to top Go down

Vazhai methodologies to implement in schools Empty Re: Vazhai methodologies to implement in schools

Post  sivasubramani Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Can we include one session on basic arithmetic i.e. basic maths. I feel this session will be very similar to our spoken English class. We can design an one hour session per week for maths. The motto of this session must be to make all kids comfortable in all fundamental maths operations and simple maths calculations. The following are the list of topics for this:

1. Addition
2. Subtraction
3. Multiplication
4. Division
5. BODMAS
6. Writing algebra equations
7. Solving algebra equations

I am ready to be part of the design of this session if you have plans to include this session.

sivasubramani

Back to top Go down

Vazhai methodologies to implement in schools Empty Re: Vazhai methodologies to implement in schools

Post  Priya_Ba Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi Anna,

Great points, it’s a great leap forward!!! It will address our concern that we may not be able to solve the academic issues of the children in the less time we spend with them.

Here are a few things we need to consider (according to me):

1. It is a great idea to give them comprehension passages and spoken English class....but my concern here is, are we not addressing the basic imparity (of a few of the students) of not able to read or write in Tamil and English?
2. Every class will have a combination of students who struggle to read or write and students who are pretty comfortable with these tasks.
3. My thought here is, before starting to implement vazhai methodologies to the complete class, we should be able to identify people with these basic imparities and give them some amount of training to make them (if not on par with the other students) at least to an extent of making them understand what is going on around them...

After addressing the basic indifferences... we can go ahead and implement our plans to the complete class...where every student will be benefited.

While implementation, the teacher should be given a complete guidance, including syllabus & material, and she should also be aware of the learning styles of the kids. The teacher should be given a training before execution.

If you need some help in preparing material for English, I can help you with that. I may not do it alone, I have a set of friends who are preparing content for kids and they definitely can help us with this.

Thanks
Priya

Priya_Ba

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavi Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Task A, B, E sounds right to me to start with. Having in mind we have a time frame of 2 months, this would be a good start.

Task A : I can work more on the ward profile and make it a student profile. This task is more of data collection by the teacher. This might not necessarily eat up a lot of school time, and this would be her first hand information and this will get better involvement from the teacher.

Task B: Spoken English can be definitely implemented and we can get better results and can be measured. Will work on the format, materials and evaluation method.

Task E: This is definitely needed, to evaluate our process and taking it to the next step.

I feel if we can get these things done in the next 2 months, we can work more based on the learning.

Sorry for the delayed response.. i forgot my login info Smile

Lavi
Lavi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mathankumar Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:49 pm

I feel Task A & E is sure thing to do and consider these as primary tasks since those very important in students point of view and Vazhai point of view. And we can choose only one task from B, C, D & F.

I feel we should not take much time of the teacher other than their school time whether he/she from Vazhai or School . Task B, C, D, F will take more time of the teacher and there is chance to put pressure on them since students are in various academic levels as Priya said. I completely agree with the points those suggested by Priya.

Also please have a discussion with CV purm teacher before you finalize the tasks.

And finally we will choose only 1 or 2 tasks, so my choice is A & E at this situation. Smile

Thanks,
Mathan

Mathankumar

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavi Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:58 pm

Priya,

Activity A will include identifying reading/writing imapirities - addressing will come as a part of Activity F. We want to focus on the 2 month time frame and implementing will start next academic year. And it would be great if you can work on the syllabus.

Mathan,

There is a spoken english period once or twice a week which is not being used properly. This is being treated as English period. We can make use of this time.
Yes, we need to speak with the teacher first Smile

A is a task for the teacher and E is more of a task for us, so I feel we can include B as there is specific time already alloted for it.

Comprehension, creativity, Math.. all are equally important and need to be implemented, however, CV Puram teacher is an English teacher and I feel Spoken English is easily measurable in 2 months. What say guys?

Lavi.
Lavi
Lavi

Back to top Go down

Post  Narayanasami Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:57 am

Thanks for all your responses.
We will discuss these points in the next meeting with the team members (Lavanya,Dilip,RethnaGanesh,Saravanamuthu,Narayanasami), and come to a conclusion.

The constraints for choosing the methods are:
- We have very short time for basic preparation (within next WS)
- We have to show some result within this two months.

Fundamental maths is very important. I believe it needs more preparation and effort from our side.

For Comprehension exercises, we must give the teacher hints to improve the comprehension skill of a student. I believe we should first experiment this within our workshops/wards, before extending this to schools.

I too think that A&B would be feasible.
Actually E is not post-implementation. It is meant for pre-implementation. I think I didn't make the wording correctly.

yes, we should discuss with the teacher in finalizing the methods, instead of asking her to do it. If that is not possible, at least, we should discuss the decided items with her, and seek her view on that, and modify it accordingly.

Narayanasami

Back to top Go down

Vazhai methodologies to implement in schools Empty Very late reply.. sorry..

Post  RT Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:40 pm

Hello All,

Did we do anything on this??   Shocked   Shocked   Shocked 

I specially like the idea of spending time in their class rooms and study them closely to understand!!!

I was never able to connect to the kids mindset and no matter what session I design, without connecting to them, its not reaching them properly!!! At least people who has to design the sessions should spend time in their class rooms  Shocked   Shocked   Shocked 

Thanks,
RT
RT
RT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum